Over the course of over ninety years, the Institute of Soil Science has made remarkable progress, growing from the Research Office of Soil, Central Geological Survey Bureau into a well-known research institute with hundreds of students and faculty.
The Research Office of Soil, Central Geological Survey Bureau was established in Beijing and conducted systematic survey and research on China’ soils, signaling the beginning of soil science research in China.
The Research Office of Soil relocated five times.
The Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) decided to expand the Research Office of Soil, Central Geological Survey Bureau into the Institute of Soil Science which started to belong to CAS from October 1952.
The Institute of Soil Science, CAS was official established in January 1953.
ISSCAS restructured research departments and platforms for several times.
The CAS agreed to name the Fengqiu Station as the Integrated Experiment Station of Fengqiu Agro-Ecosystem, CAS (now the National Agro-Ecosystem Observation and Research Station in Fengqiu) and to approve the establishment of the Red Soil Ecosystem Experiment Station in Jiangxi Province.
The CAS approved the creation of the Open Laboratory of Material Cycle in Pedosphere (now the State Key Laboratory of Soil & Sustainable Agriculture).
ISSCAS was approved to set up the post-doctoral station.
ISSCAS was selected in the first batch of piloted institutes supported by CAS Knowledge Innovation Program, stepping into a new stage at the beginning of 21st century.
The establishment of the State Key Laboratory of Soil & Sustainable Agriculture was approved by the Ministry of Science and Technology of People’s Republic of China.
ISSCAS was selected into the list of CAS Knowledge Innovation Program PhaseⅢ.
ISSCAS was among the first group of institutes to make reforms and restructuring under the Pioneer Initiatives of CAS.